Tuesday 4 August 2015

WORDLIFE Q&A... WITH KING AGGI


Who are you?

King Aggi

Where are you from?

Bristol

Is there a team you're repping?

Aggi Mafia

What made you get into Hip-Hop?

I was in prison, and lots of Hip-Hop guys were coming to visit me in my cell. At the time I was a Reggae artist, but as they were coming in my cell and jamming and freestyling all the time I thought I'd join in. They thought I was good, that was it really.

Are there any current projects that are out now or any future ones in the pipeline?

I've got the M32 Mix-Tape coming out soon. I've got 31 artists from Bristol to come on a mix-tape with me, so that's the project I'm working on right now.

Do you have any musical influences?

Yes definitely. I said a lot of Reggae music, I'd say Bounty Killer. Hip-Hop I'd say Biggie Smalls, Max B, AR Ab.

Who do you owe the most to in your musical career so far?

Got to be Biggie Smalls, he's an inspiration.

What are your thoughts on the state of Hip-Hop today?

It's alright. It's changed a lot, the lyrical content has changed a lot and what we talk about. But the beats are still banging, the vibe is still nice, it's lovely. And there's more people involved with it now, I'm happy with it still.

What needs to be done for UK Hip-Hop to get the international recognition it deserves?

More support from the UK. And then they can't but help but hear it in the US and elsewhere. But we're doing alright, we've a couple that's doing alright at the moment. We're the best that we've ever been.

Who are your favourite Hip-Hop artists and why?

In the UK I'd probably say Young Spray, because he's my mate. But really because he's certified as well. Sometimes it's hard to listen. There are a lot of talented artists but sometimes I don't believe them, it's a credibility thing. When it's real you just feel it. Biggie Smalls, still now. Max B, AR Ab, Frenchie. Different genres too like Big Narstie and all that, the grime scene. They're still hard, even though I don't do it myself, I've still got ratings for them. It's the same thing. It's still bars, you've still got to come out with the good stuff.
Are there any artists you'd like to work with?

Loads. Damian Marley, Alicia Keys. In the UK, want to do something with Spray, Kept & Conan, I like what they're doing. Really I'm open to a lot of collaborations, I like all the vibes.

Any shout outs?

Yes, big up Sir Plus who's not here today 'cos he's ill. Big up Skrilla, big up everybody on the M32 mix-tape, all 31 of you, that's going to be a mad ting.

Where can we find your music?

Genesis Music on Stapleton Road stores it, and the M32 mix-tape will be available online when it comes out too.









1 comment: